It was a major venue for weddings as well as many other functions, including the Millennium Dinner. However, all of that has disappeared since the Cartland and its surrounding lands were sold to a developer.
What will happen to Cartland is currently a mystery; there have been various rumours, including the building being subdivided into apartments. This would be unfortunate, leaving only the New Lanark Hotel locally as a hotel/wedding venue.
Cartland was known for many years as Baronald. It first appears as a small estate on Major General Roy’s map of Scotland in 1756. It is called Barronel and there are three walled fields near the house.
The house shown on Roy’s map is said to be that which belonged to William Lockhart in 1793. It was to this area that William Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy came with their friend William Taylor Coleridge in 1806 when all three came to do the experience echo the Cartland Crags.
The old house was briefly inhabited by one of Scotland’s foremost botanists, John George Robertson, who lived in both Tasmania and Australia from 1831 to 1854. He brought an amazing collection of plants back to the Kingdom -United. Some of these specimens ended up at Kew Gardens. He made some modifications to the old house and he built a number of greenhouses for his vines and other plants. He did it in 1857 but unfortunately he died in 1862.
The Farie family bought the estate and, with the profits from their coal mines around Paisley, decided to build a new house. The work was undertaken by Sir John Burnett, a well-known Victorian architect. He also built the stables and other outbuildings, which were recently demolished.
They were used to store the correspondence of the Farie family. In the mid-1970s, people made use of the letters, some of which bore penny blacks. Recently some of them have been sold in Glasgow. Too bad this archive is gone.
In 1963 Baronald became the Cartland Bridge Hotel. I hope it will become a hotel again.