Home Stamp collecting It’s not easy to be a geek

It’s not easy to be a geek

0


I am convinced that 99% of the people of Huron County have hunting as a hobby. And I’m further convinced that the only reason the remaining 1% isn’t in the game is because they’re so young that even the miserable pullback of a .22 would make them fly.

I am truly an indoors individual so I have found my options for social outings to be limited. I checked and there are only three theaters in the whole county. And on Meetup, the most exciting thing happening this week is any “Ancient Wisdom Tip” whatever it is.

I am not judging, you can like whatever you like. It’s just frustrating that my extracurricular options here are so limited. As someone who has never seen the allure of the great outdoors (to quote Jim Gaffigan, “If it’s so beautiful outside, why are all the bugs trying to get into my house?”), It’s is like I’m trapped in the world’s biggest corn maze, with no soul in sight that could possibly sympathize. This is a problem when you have already lived for two months in a new neighborhood and have absolutely no social circle.

Where I lived it was pretty easy to find people with similar interests, because it was the suburbs and the kids in the suburbs are drawn to geek stuff like wasps at a family picnic. . Not much to do outside in the suburbs other than walking to the corner store or the nearest McDonald’s after school. With the great outdoors in Huron County, however, there are many more people around who have lived more adventurous lives than I do and view my inner hobbies with the same enthusiasm as they would stamp collecting.

Face to face interaction is difficult enough for me without being in an area where anyone without a shotgun in their house is considered not to have their life together. Where are all the nerds in this county hiding? There must be someone with a similar number of dice sets and more money in their Steam wallet than in their bank account. And I will keep looking.


Connor Veenstra is a writer for the Huron Daily Tribune. He can be reached at connor.veenstra@hearstnp.com.